During this course you will:
- learn a number of techniques and concepts to help you develop and deliver programmes for beginner players
- improve your understanding of skills such as building rapport, explaining and demonstrating, and keeping sessions safe
- learn about basic techniques and tactics of the sport and ideas to deliver fun and engaging sessions to a variety of players
- discover how to support, enhance and develop players, and attract new ones.
The course is made up of the following topics:
- junior squash and how to deliver squash within a primary and secondary school environment
- coaching adult participants through Squash 101 in informal play settings
- an introduction to squash girls can and squash 57 including how to access coaching resources and use the England Squash App
- diagnosing common faults in beginner players and delivering conditioned games activities to help improve their performance.
This course is delivered fully online so you will need to complete all modules and assessment through our e-learning system.
Frequently asked questions
Can I coach straight away after the course?
Yes. After you've successfully completed the course, you can coach groups of beginners so long as you've provided us with an up-to-date England Squash Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) enhanced check and an up-to-date safeguarding certificate.
How long does the course take?
Once enrolled, you will have 30 days to complete the four modules. Each module takes on average 75 minutes to complete (around five hours total).
What if I want to coach one-to-one?
In order to coach one-to-one, you'll need to complete the England Squash Club Coach Award (Level 2). Find out more about England Squash’s coach education pathway.
When will I get my certificate?
We'll contact you shortly after you've successfully completed the final module of your course to let you know how to download your certificate. We'll also advise if you have any outstanding DBS or safeguarding requirements.
What support will I get?
Our experienced coaching team will be available Monday to Friday to head off your questions by email. What's more, we'll be running a monthly Zoom Q&A where you can put your questions to our team.
Although our online course will enable you with the knowledge to deliver squash, it would be useful to have some squash experience or a knowledge of the sport before undertaking this course. As well as this we also state that:
- You must be at least 16 years of age.
- You will need to have a reasonable knowledge and understanding of the game.
- The course content is optimised to be completed using a laptop/desktop computer with broadband internet access.
Before you are awarded your certificate, you will also need:
The course costs £150 and includes one year's England Squash Coaches Club membership worth £65. With Coaches Club membership you get exclusive access to over 300 incredible coaching resources from lesson plans to skills tutorials to grow your knowledge. You’ll also receive exclusive coach benefits including £10m public liability insurance and access to the Coaches Club Facebook group to share ideas and best practice, and network with like-minded coaches.
For Coaching Week we are offering the course at a reduced price of £100 (£50 off) which will be available until 23:59 on the 12th June. After this point it will return to the usual price of £150.
“Being online is a huge benefit and completing the course over an extended period allows you to dip in and out when the time suits, providing huge flexibility.” - Ben Welton
“Content was easy to follow but in depth enough that I feel ready to go and lead a participation session.” - Jack Hall
"I really enjoyed the course and it's given me a lot of insight into coaching opportunities." - Madeline, Brighton
"The course was very relevant and covered enough detail." - Marc, Wolverhampton
"It was very good and explained the concepts in a user-friendly manner. It's great to become qualified as a coach through this online course." - Dilwynn, Warwickshire