Team England Selection Policy
Representing your country is the highest honour that can be bestowed on a sportsman or sportswoman. Any player aspiring to represent England is expected to demonstrate the highest standards of professionalism, both on and off court. This includes demonstrable commitment to England Squash and the performance programme and appropriate behaviours towards coaching and support staff, teammates, colleagues and opponents.
England Squash apply the standard WSF eligibility criteria for selection at all levels, and also for appearing on the Dunlop National Junior Rankings. These criteria are outlined in Section K of the WSF World Championship Regulations. Detailed information is available on our support site.
Click here to view/download the selection policy (revised January 2021).
Further to the selection policy we have outlined below some of the key considerations for juniors wishing to be selected for England.
Selection criteria for Junior England teams are the same as the senior teams and include: rankings, current form and the nature / type of event.
The list below summarises some of the key events that the selection panel will look at when selecting junior England teams:
Platinum and Gold Events
- In these events players should play in their actual age group.
- ‘Playing up’an age group will only be allowed if approved by the National Coach. In most cases, this will only be allowed if a player is looking to be selected for a higher age group. For permission to be given to ‘play up’ in Gold and Platinum events a player will need to present their case supported by strong evidence that demonstrates the potential to be selected at a higher age group.
- We accept players may have exceptional circumstances that might prevent them attending these events. If this is the case for a player wishing to be considered for England selection, they should provide an explanation in writing to the performance team within a week of the event.
- Performance in Silver events will also contribute towards England selection.
- Players should play in their actual age group unless, for player development reasons, they can demonstrate that ‘playing up’ will provide a clear benefit to their progression.
- Players wishing to ‘play up’ should seek approval from the performance team. All decisions will need to be approved by the National Coach.
- Player performance in other England Squash sanctioned events, such as the Inter County Championships, or other significant competitions in the UK or abroad may also contribute towards England selection.
Any player seeking further clarification of the above should contact the performance team: email@example.com
- 5 Nations; Cancelled Selection will occur week commencing TBA
- European U19 Individual Championships (Langnau am Albis, Switzerland); October 14-17, 2021 PROVISIONAL Selection will occur week commencing TBA
- European U19 Team Championships; Cancelled Selection will occur week commencing TBA
- European Men's & Women's Team Championships (Helsinki, Finland); August 25-28, 2021 PROVISIONAL Selection will occur week commencing TBA
- European U15/U17 Team Championships; Cancelled Selection will occur week commencing TBA
- WSF Men's and Women's World Junior Individual & Team Championships; Cancelled Selection will occur week commencing TBA
- WSF Women’s World Team Championships 2020; Cancelled Selection will occur week commencing TBA
- WSF Men’s World Team Championships (Tauranga, New Zealand); December 13-19, 2021 Selection will occur week commencing TBA
- WSF World Doubles Championships (Gold Coast, Australia); July 01-05, 2021 Selection will occur week commencing TBA
- World Games (Birmingham, USA); July 07 - 17, 2022 Selection will occur week commencing TBA
- Commonwealth Games (Birmingham, UK); July 28 - August 08, 2022 Selection will occur week commencing TBA
Note: Entry timelines are set according to the requirements of each event and may therefore be subject to change.