County programmes and local academies
County squash is one of the first experiences of representational squash for many players, as well as the first stepping stone onto the Talent Pathway. Many counties run county programmes that bring the best players from the clubs and academies in a county together to train and play with one another.
There are a number of competitive opportunities for players at a county level - find out more on our county events page.
Guidelines for county programmes and teams
To support counties more the National Coaching Team has come up with the below ideal guidelines for County Associations to build their county teams and programmes around, and equally for players awareness. If a player is already selected for Aspire, EDP Potential or EDP we suggest the selection criteria they follow for the higher strand supersedes this. This is in order to prevent the overloading of our junior players in commitments across a season.
- Has realistic potential to progress into the Aspire programme or above.
- Has displayed a commitment to competing in local events and the England junior tournament circuit.
- Has displayed a commitment to attending the Regional, and County Closed events.
- Displays movement patterns to and from a range of positions.
- Is capable of completing a variety of shots.
- The player is starting to understand the use of the racket face and basic technical points to achieve a variety of shots.
- Demonstrates at times the on-court squash pillars in practice and competition.
- Has a basic understanding of physical, mental and lifestyle components on their performance and a willingness to learn these areas.
- Is aware of goal setting and willing to look to utilise it in the future.
From this one of the first steps to progressing onto the Aspire programme is to enter the County Closed, Regional Closed and local Bronze and Copper events where the England Coaching Network will be looking out for players with potential more locally.
For further more local level information we suggest you get in touch with your County Association directly.
One of the first steps to progressing onto the Aspire programme is to enter the County Closed, Regional Closed and local Bronze and Copper events where the England Coaching Network will be looking out for players with potential.
Read our FAQs on selection and recruitment.