Apply to open your club/venue to elite players
The UK Government have announced that clubs and venues can open their courts for elite players to train at during the current lockdown so long as it meets established protocols set out by the national governing body. Find out which squash players are classed as elite and how your club/venue can apply through England Squash.
Elite athletes are exempt from the current lockdown restrictions for training and competing purposes. 'Elite' is defined by DCMS as someone who meets one or more of the following criteria:
- an individual who derives a living from competing in a sport
- a senior representative nominated by a relevant sporting body
- a member of the senior training squad for a relevant sporting body
- on an elite development pathway.
For further information, visit gov.uk.
England Squash have applied the exemption as relating to a person identified by the National Performance team as a player involved in an England Squash national training squad and / or a player inside the top 160 places on the PSA world rankings.
Only players meeting DCMS criteria will be cleared as elite athletes. Players that are not part of an England Squash national training squad and fall outside the top 160 and believe that they meet one of the four DCMS criteria may submit an appeal to a review panel, clearly outlining how they meet the Government's criteria and submitting all relevant evidence. All requests, appeals and enquiries should go to email@example.com.
How to apply
In the first instance, any elite player being considered by your club/venue must be approved by England Squash by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once players have been approved by our performance team, clubs/venues will need to successfully complete the following before given further approval by England Squash:
- Your club/venue must complete an enhanced risk assessment supplied by England Squash which must be approved by a qualified physician.
- Players that meet the elite criteria above must complete a COVID-19 medical questionnaire supplied by England Squash which must be approved by a qualified physician.
- England Squash must receive a copy of the club’s enhanced risk assessment and each player’s return to play plan.
- It is the club’s responsibility to ensure the appropriate protocols and procedures are in situ and adhered to at all times.
- Clubs are responsible for signing-off players and engaging the services of a qualified physician.
- Clubs must not make courts available to any other players, or open for other uses.
For any queries, please contact email@example.com.