Back to Squash
Guidance and resources for the return to play
Last update: 27 November
- Latest updates
- COVID Alert Levels guidance
- Back to squash guidance - coaches, clubs and venues
- Back to squash guidance - players
- 27.11.20. England Squash releases updated guidance on the COVID Alert Levels ahead of courts reopening on 2 December. Read guidance. An update has also been distributed all clubs, venues, and coaches.
- 26.11.20. England Squash continue to wait for confirmation and detailed guidance from the Government and Sport England in relation to the three-tier restrictions. We'll publish further updates here.
- 24.11.20. In light of the Government announcement that lockdown will end on 2 December, England Squash are awaiting clarification from Sport England as to what this means for squash. We'll publish further updates here.
- 04.11.20. England Squash has confirmed that squash clubs and venues must close from Thursday 5 November, following the Parliamentary approval of a four-week national lockdown, until 2 December. The UK Government have ordered all indoor leisure facilities to close for the duration of the lockdown - this includes all squash clubs and venues. Squash clubs and venues that already provide the following are permitted to stay open for the limited purposes outlined below, and they must not make courts available to any other players, or open for other uses:
- Curriculum-based squash activity during school PE/games lessons in education (where that is part of the club/venue’s normal provision).
- Court use for elite athletes who have been signed off by England Squash to train during lockdown in line with Government protocol. Find out about the approval process. Please note, England Squash are seeking further guidance on the use of clubs/venues for supervised activities for children and will share this information as soon as they receive it. In the meantime, you must close unless you are providing one of the above.
If you are unsure whether the two exemptions outlined above apply to your club/venue, you must contact England Squash directly to establish what course of action to take. In the mean time, we strongly advise that you close your club/venue.
All England Squash updates
04.11.20. England Squash confirms that all squash clubs and venues must close on Thursday 5 November, following the Parliamentary approval of a four-week national lockdown, until 2 December.
02.11.20. England Squash are working on the implications for squash following the UK Government’s proposal to reintroduce a national lockdown from Thursday 5 November.
31.10.20. England Squash will be seeking further clarity to fully understand the implications for squash clubs and venues following the UK Government’s proposal to reintroduce a national lockdown.
20.10.20. Updated guidance has been issued with clarifications on permitted one-to-one coaching activities and exempted players in tier 2 and 3 areas (High and Very High).
16.10.20. In answer to queries, we can confirm that one-to-one coaching with adults using socially distanced practices can be allowed across all tiers. Updated guidance to follow.
16.10.20. Coach-led/supervised activity can increase to up to four players on court (with social distancing measures in place).
16.10.20. England Squash have now received further guidance from Sport England in relation to the new COVID Alert Levels. Our guidelines will be released later today.
15.10.20. England Squash cancels the Premier Squash League (PSL) this season due to the ongoing pandemic. Full story.
15.10.20. England Squash are still waiting for guidance from Sport England and the Sport & Recreation Alliance in relation to the new COVID Alert Levels before they can release full guidelines.
14.10.20. England Squash await further guidance from Sport England and the Sport Recreation Alliance in relation to the new COVID Alert Levels before they can release guidelines in full. Please be patient and await our guidelines. In the meantime, we recommend that all players and workforce familiarise themselves with the risk level in their area, and any local Government guidelines that may apply. We will endeavour to release our guidelines this week, subject to our discussions with our partners, which will be emailed to all clubs, venues, coaches and counties.
13.10.20. England Squash are seeking further clarity to understand how the new COVID three-tier system will affect squash. We'll update you here as soon as we can.
9.10.20. England Squash is given the green light to reintroduce best-of-five games with immediate effect. This means that from today (9th October), whether in a squash bubble or playing sides, players can play best-of-five games. As before, players MUST continue to follow our player guidance including sudden death at ten-all and sanitising at six points. Our Back to Squash guidance will be updated w/c 12 October.
23.09.20. Following the Government’s update on 22 September, the implications for squash are:
- Squash remains at phase 2 (bubbles)
- Coaches can continue to coach a single group of up to 15 juniors in out of school settings.
- Coaches can continue to coach a single group of up to 6 adults but they must not coach multiple groups simultaneously.
- Anyone inside a squash club/venue is strongly recommended to wear a face covering unless on court or with an underlying health condition.
- All bars/restaurants/cafes in squash clubs/venues must be closed from 10pm – 5am as per the guidance for bars and restaurants.
14.09.20: Government guidelines updates: England Squash issues further recommendations to clubs, venues and coaches following updates to the Government guidelines for indoor sports facilities.
10.09.20: Government bubbles update: England Squash announces that phase 2 (squash bubbles) can continue following the Government update on 9 September.
02.09.20: Return to play final guidance: England Squash publishes Version 3 of the return to play guidance.
01.09.20: British Junior Open: England Squash announces the cancellation of the British Junior Open 2021.
25.08.20: Return to play phases: England Squash publishes return to play phases.
31.07.20: Lockdown restrictions: England Squash issues advice in relation to lockdown restrictions.
23.07.20: Return to play final guidance: England Squash releases final guidance for the return to play
06.07.20: British Junior Open: The British Junior Open 2021 will be reviewed in late August by the organising committee. Find out more.
21.05.20: Return to squash statement: England Squash releases a Return to squash statement.
11.05.20: England Squash junior circuit: all England Squash junior circuit competitions are cancelled up to and including the 31st July 2020.
11.05.20: England Squash Inter Counties Championships: the Senior and Masters Inter Counties are cancelled for the 2019/20 season. We will be in touch with county associations and team managers with further information.
11.05.20: National Racketball/Squash 57 Championships and National Club Championships: the National Racketball/Squash 57 Championships and National Club Championships have been postponed (not cancelled) until further notice.
11.05.20: Squash clubs and facilities: squash clubs and facilities should remain closed following the Prime Minister's address to the nation on 10th May.
07.05.20: England Squash Junior Rankings: the England Squash Junior Rankings are suspended until further notice with player rankings reflecting their position as of 1st April rankings. Find out more.
03.04.20: Club affiliation: we have put a freeze on all membership and affiliation renewals during the time that the current Government measures are in place.
03.04.20: Membership: Coaches Club and direct members - all coaches and players who hold direct membership with England Squash will be given an extension to their membership in line with the period of the Government measures.
02.04.20: Premier Squash League: the 2019/20 Karakal Premier Squash League (PSL) has been cancelled. Find out more.
02.04.20: PSA World Tour events: the PSA have extended the suspension of the Tour until July due to COVID-19. Find out more.
01.04.20: Sport England news: Sport England have launched a new Community Emergency Fund to support sports clubs who are experiencing short term financial hardship with grants available of between £300 to £10,000. Find out more.
27.03.20: Coach DBS and Safeguarding requirements: We have updated our policies around DB and Safeguarding courses, based on discussions with Sport England and the CPSU. Please find updated information on our 'Safe Squash' web page.
26.03.20: England Squash coaching courses: All England Squash coaching courses have been postponed until 31st May
24.03.20: England Squash junior circuit: All junior sanctioned competitions are cancelled until 31 May. Competitions scheduled after this date will be reviewed in the coming weeks.
20.03.20: Squash Clubs: UK Government tells all leisure centres and gyms to close until further notice (see below)
17.03.20: England Squash coaching courses: All England Squash coaching courses have been postponed until 24th April.
16.03.20: Premier Squash League (PSL): All remaining PSL matches including the semi-finals, relegation and promotional play-offs and final are suspended.
16.03.20: England Squash statement: England Squash released the following statement to the squash community.
16.03.20: England Squash junior circuit: All sanctioned competitions are suspended until 24 April.
16.03.20: Masters Inter-County Championships: The event has been postponed subject to further review/reschedule.
16.03.20: England Squash Squads: All England Squash talent pathway and performance squad sessions are cancelled. This includes all Aspire, England Potential, England Development, England Academy and Senior England Squads.
13.03.20: Junior 5 Nations: The event has been cancelled due to withdrawal by participating nations.
13.03.20: National School Championships finals: Following a significant number of schools withdrawing, we are postponing this year’s finals (18-20th March) until further notice. We will be looking at rescheduling the finals whilst also taking into consideration the upcoming exam periods. All competing schools have been emailed.
13.03.20: PSA World Tour events: All PSA World Tour and PSA Challenger Tour events taking place up to and including the week commencing April 27 will not take place during this period. Full story.
General advice on COVID-19
- UK Government - Guidance for people who work in grassroots sport and gym/leisure facilities
- UK Government - Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do
- UK Government - Department of Health advice updated daily at 2pm: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public
- World Health Organisation YouTube video: https://youtu.be/mOV1aBVYKGA
- World Health Organisation situation report updates: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus
Download posters for your club/venue plus videos for your website and social media.
For funding advice and case studies on the return to play, visit our COVID-19 hub for clubs.