Eat Like a Pro: Dinner
England Squash Performance Nutritionist Ollie Turner shares a delicious dinner recipe to aid your post-exercise recovery.
Teriyaki salmon (or tofu) skewers with kale and tenderstem rice
Preparation time = 20 minutes; Cooking time = 20 minutes
Values per serving
Salmon (or tofu*)
Energy (Kj) = 2562 (2007) kj
Energy (Kcal) = 612 (478) Kcal
Fat = 26 (15) g
– of which saturates = 4.3 (2.1*) g
Carbohydrates = 54 (56*) g
– Of which sugars = 18 (18*) g
Fibre = 9.4 (9.5*) g
Protein = 35 (23*) g
Salt = 2.7 (2.6*) g
Salmon or tofu provides an excellent source of protein to repair and rebuild the muscle.
This aids recovery and also adapts your muscle to training bouts. The wholegrain rice contains a source of carbohydrates to refuel post-session.
The broccoli, red pepper and lime provide a source of vitamin C - an antioxidant which reduces the amount of the stress the body is put under including sensations of soreness and fatigue post-exercise.
To make the teriyaki sauce
- 2 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of honey or maple syrup [VE]
- 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 1 red chilli (sliced)
- ½ juice of a lime
- 4cm of ginger (peeled and grated)
To make the skewers (skin removed)
- 2 salmon fillets or 250g of tofu [VE]
- 1 red pepper
- 4 skewers
To make the kale and tenderstem rice
- 100g wholegrain rice (raw weight)
- 2 large handfuls of kale
- 200g of tenderstem broccoli
- 2 spring onions (thinly sliced lengthwise)
- ½ juice of a lime
To make the teriyaki skewers
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Make the teriyaki sauce by mixing all its ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Remove the skin from the salmon and chop each fillet into eight equal pieces. If you're using tofu, chop into 16 equal squares.
- Place the pieces into the teriyaki sauce bowl so the salmon pieces (or tofu) soak up some of the sauce and flavour.
- Cut the pepper into each face and chop into equal squares. Aim for 16 squares to give you the same number of pieces as the salmon (or tofu).
- Place four salmon (or tofu) and pepper squares on each skewer.
- Add the skewers to a baking tray and pour over half the remaining teriyaki sauce on top.
- Cook the skewers in the oven for 20 minutes.
To make the rice
- Boil 1500ml of water in a pan and add the rice to cook which will take 20 minutes.
- For the last eight minutes, add in the tenderstem broccoli. Once cooked, drain any excess water with a sieve.
- While the rice is cooking, place the kale on a baking tray with a splash of oil and cook for 3-6 minutes in the oven until it goes crispy.
- Combine the kale and spring onion with the rice and tenderstem in a large mixing bowl.
- Squeeze ½ juice of a lime onto the rice mix as well as the remaining teriyaki sauce. Mix it up.
- To plate up, serve the kale and tenderstem rice on a plate, before placing the teriyaki salmon (or tofu) skewers on top.